Tuesday, August 23, 2011

28 Weeks, Au revoir French Doc, Merci

The last and final French Doc appointment is complete and not without a few minor miscommunications, but that was to be expected.  She confirmed everything looks great with the pregnancy.  No toxoplasmosis as of a month ago, no abnormalities to be seen in the echographic, no gestational diabetes, iron levels look normal again, I’m gaining the proper amount of weight (maybe even too many lbs over the last month) all is well.  Our miscommunication occurred when I was not able to get my last and final toxoplasmosis blood test.  Something they normally do every month in France since it is more common here,  but only one test for toxoplasmosis per pregnancy in the US.  At the lab, since I entered without a prescription for the test, I decided to avoid getting into an argument in French with the lab tech, one I would most assuredly loose and quickly walked out at the first sign of “You need a prescription”.  Tempted to skip being stuck by a gloveless woman who smells like old alcohol one more time, I decided not to return to the doc to ask for the missing prescription and instead chose to walk to few miles back to the villa.  However, thoughts swarmed my head during my walk home about all my potential toxoplasmosis exposures over the last month.  Like the mussel appetizer that gave me a small dose of food poisoning for 24 hours AND the super friendly stray cat in Biot that ran up out of no where and began rubbing her sweet little cat body against mine and Alexa’s legs tempting us to pet her AND the accidental visit to the old fashioned organic free-range farm with chickens, roosters, geese, ducks, cows, pigs, horses and donkeys also tempting us to pet them while we trampled through their poo.  However, despite all these close calls with possible toxoplasmosis exposure, I feel fine and Alexa has loved on all these beautiful animals without coming down with the slightest bit of a toxoplasmosis symptom.  Therefore, I think it is probably okay that I skipped out on the last sketchy pricking.  I am debating on asking for a toxoplasmosis test back in the states for my 32 weeks check up though… just to be safe.




No comments:

Post a Comment